- City-fringe location near shops and restaurants
- Free parking
Our national organisation, the Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia (SSAA), based in Adelaide is seeking an enthusiastic and capable Communications Officer with firearms knowledge to help with its stable of magazines, publications, website content, social media communications and public relations activities. Wordsmiths with an interest in the outdoors, conservation and the shooting sports will find this role a great match.
The SSAA was established in 1948 in order to promote the shooting sports and protect firearm owners’ interests. SSAA National is Australia’s premier shooting body and is the umbrella organisation to a membership of more than 200,000 licensed firearm owners in Australia.
The SSAA produces more than a dozen publications and the Adelaide office houses a pool of graphic designers, journalists and editors and is the communications hub for dozens of freelance contributors.
Reporting to the CEO, the Communications Officer will assist the Media & Publications and the Public Affairs departments in promoting the shooting sports and ethical hunting in Australia, as well as promoting the SSAA brand as Australia’s premier shooting body.
The Communications Officer will be expected to create, source and write quality, accurate and compelling content aligned to the SSAA brand and drive communication through a variety of mediums, such as websites, magazine articles, e-newsletters, social media and more. There may also be opportunities to assist with political campaigns and related media. The role will require the individual to work across several departments as part of a team to strengthen and further the SSAA’s communication platforms to our members, the general public and key stakeholders.
Key duties include:
- Create and produce fortnightly e-newsletters as required.
- Source and write stories for our stable of magazines, websites and other mediums, as well as produce photographic support when required.
- Assist with media campaigns and public relations activities when required.
- Manage the SSAA National Facebook page.
- Any other duties requested by the CEO SSAA.
- Tertiary qualification in journalism, communications, media, public relations or similar.
- Knowledge of and experience with firearms and other outdoor activities (hunting knowledge would be highly valued).
- Valid SA driver’s licence (for occasional local and interstate travel).
The role is full-time, with a salary plus super commensurate with the applicant’s skills and experience. Closing date is Friday 28 February 2021. The role is likely to start in March 2021. Assistance with interstate relocation will be considered.
For more information about the SSAA or the Communications Officer role, visit or contact:
Ph: Jennifer on 0408 842 182