The SSAA Academic Bursary Program is an ongoing grants initiative whereby the SSAA offers tertiary students a chance to secure a portion of an annual $10,000 bursary. The purpose of this bursary is to further the community’s understanding of conservation, hunting, recreational shooting and all related matters.
- To qualify, students must be enrolled at a recognised university (full or part-time) and have completed one year of university study.
- Applications must demonstrate creativity and the current study of subject matter relating to, or consistent with, the SSAA’s goals and philosophy as Australia’s leading hunting and sports shooting Association.
- Membership with the SSAA is not compulsory.
- Topics of study can include, but are not limited to:
- Game management
- Park and land management
- Sport management
- Veterinary science.
Each year, the SSAA will make $10,000 available to eligible students. Individual bursary amounts will vary between $500 and $2000.
Applications may be made once every 12 months at any stage throughout the year. A full application consists of:
- the completed application form
- a one-page CV
- a maximum of three typed pages comprehensively detailing what the money will be used for, and
- proof of eligibility (letter from a head of department, supervisor, membership of university, etc).
Applications will be considered bi-annually – in February and September.
Judging will be done by the SSAA Inc CEO, a member of the SSAA Finance Committee and a member of the SSAA’s Academic Advisory Committee. In some areas, an expert in the field of study may also be called on to assist in the judging process.
Evidence of study or work may be required, as may be a list of referees.
Students will have to sign certain undertakings before their applications are considered.
Successful applicants must be:
- committed to pursuing their degree after receipt of the bursary
- willing to supply the SSAA, should it ask, with a copy of their final university project (e.g., research, thesis, work, etc)
- willing to be interviewed for our website and/or other publications for promotion of the bursary and/or the benefit of your efforts to our Association.
To apply, or for further information, please contact our Logistics and Support Officer.