SSAA National will form part of the Industry Reference Group, which will be consulted on the National Firearms Agreement (NFA) review as announced by Justice Minister Michael Keenan on August 12.
In his press release, also from August 12, Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the Nationals Warren Truss welcomed the announcement of the group, saying it will ensure the voices of legitimate firearm users, including farmers and sporting shooters, are heard in the review. “Today’s announcement will ensure that the views of industry representatives are heeded as part of the Review. That consultation with industry and licensed shooters will be vital to producing sensible reforms,” he said.
The Industry Reference Group will include:
- The National Firearms Dealers Association;
- Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia;
- Field and Game Australia;
- Shooting Australia;
- Shooting Industry Foundation Australia;
- Firearms Safety Council (Victoria); and
- An independent technical expert.